"Happy Halloween Eggs-travaganza!"

It was October 1965 Halloween night. I was 14 years young, a freshman in high school. My friends and I had been looking forward to a little Halloween mayhem for weeks and now the big night had finally arrived. Although Halloween fell on a Sunday that year we were fine with it. One the benefits of attending a Catholic School was that there was no school the day following Halloween. All Saints Day, a holy day of obligation. Yeah, you gotta love those Catholic holidays! While all those poor souls attending public schools had classes the following day we got to stay out late and then sleep in. pretty cool.

There were five of us there that night, Art V., Dave M., Bob L., Steve G. and myself. There were supposed to be a few others but they never showed up, probably not up to it. The plan was to egg cars up on Sierra Madre Ave in Azusa. Today Sierra Madre Ave is a straight slightly uphill drive south that takes you passed Nob Hill and Pioneer Park, through the Rosedale housing development out of Azusa and into Glendora, but back in the day it was a narrow two-lane road that wound its way up a small mountainside, there were plenty of perfect elevated hiding spots among the trees to launch an aerial egg assault on unsuspecting motorists as they slowed down for the curves.

Each of us was armed with eggs we had brought from home. I don’t remember just how many we had, but we had a pretty decent arsenal maybe three dozen or so. It didn’t take us long to realize that in war, three dozen eggs don’t last long.  Just after dark, we all met at Bob’s house. He lived on Nob Hill which was easy walking distance to our target zone. After making our way up the hill we waited impatiently for our first victim. Soon we saw headlights approaching from the west. Knowing that the car would soon be coming around the curve we armed ourselves and the moment we saw the car we launched our aerial egg assault. We each threw one and we heard at least three make contact with the vehicle. The driver slowed down flashed his high beams and drove on while we howled in laughter. Yes, egging cars had certainly been a good idea.

Over the course of the next hour, we hit three more cars all coming into Azusa. We had pooled our eggs and at that point had about a dozen left. Our next target came up from the Azusa side and really slowed down for the curve right below us. Needless to say, we slammed it with eggs. Then the unexpected happened. The car came to a complete stop right before the curve and the driver got out! At first, we were scared and quickly backed away from our perch, but then quickly realized the driver couldn’t see us so we moved back to the edge.

Remarkably he had walked to the rear of the car and was standing there looking around. I don’t remember who threw the first egg but as soon as it was thrown the rest of us followed suit and in a matter of moments the remainder of our egg cache was depleted. The poor guy had his arms up protecting his head as he jumped back in the car and sped away. I’d never laughed so hard in my life. Everyone was rolling!

Fearing that he might call the cops we quickly went back to Bob’s house to hide out for awhile. Thank God there weren’t any cell phones back then or we would have been busted for sure.Fortunately, he couldn’t make the call until he got home or to the nearest phone booth which was miles away. We must have spent about a half hour at Bob’s before making our way back onto the streets. Our plan was to walk over to the Foothill dairy and buy more eggs, then head back up to our ambush site.

We hadn’t gone two blocks when a police cruiser pulled up next to us. The officer on the passenger side asked us what we were up too, then shined his flashlight down at our feet to see if they were covered in dirt but our shoes were clean and dirt free. Fortunately, Bob had the good sense to have us clean all the dust and dirt from our shoes before going back out, just in case. Smart guy that Bob.

The cop told us they’d had a report about someone throwing eggs at passing cars on Sierra Madre and since we just happened to be strolling down Sierra Madre they had to check us out. We assured him that it hadn’t been us, no siree buddy!  “Are you sure you boys aren’t holding any eggs?” he asked suspiciously. Again we assured him that we were not and even went so far as to pat down our pockets in front of him. Apparently, Dave had forgotten that he still had one egg in the inside pocket of his jacket. We all heard the crack of the egg when he hit it with his hand. Fortunately for us, the cop didn’t. They gave us a friendly warning to stay out of trouble and drove off. Man, we had dodged a real bullet! After Dave cleaned out his pocket we continued on to the dairy where we each bought a dozen eggs. At 53 cents a dozen, we could have bought more but had no way to conceal them.

As we were leaving an old gray, panel truck pulled up in front of the store. About a half dozen or more guys climbed out of the back. Inside we could see dozens and dozens of eggs, and these guys were buying more! I recognized one of the guys from the rec center and we struck up a conversation. It seems they were involved in some sort of ‘egg war’ with another group of guys up near the Azusa Greens Golf Course. He asked if we’d like to join them in their adventure and after a brief discussion we decided to join them anyway. After  donating our eggs to the cause we climbed into the back of the panel truck and got underway.

The golf course was only a few minutes away. East of the course was a new housing development. All the new streets had been cut in and the lots graded and leveled but no houses had yet been built yet. This was ground zero for what was to be an amazing egg war. As we neared the entrance to the housing development about 5 other guys joined us and piled into the back of the truck.We all armed ourselves with eggs as we turned into the development and were ready to go.

We hadn’t gone far when we came under attack! Eggs were smashing against the side of the truck like crazy, a constant barrage of shattering eggs. The windows were so smeared you could barely see out. We purposely kept our heads down so the enemy would have no idea how many of us there really were inside.

Once we passed through the gauntlet and the egg rain diminished, we all jumped out and returned fire. There were eggs flying everywhere. Somehow we managed to press our attackers out of hiding and chased them down the street. There had to have been about twenty of them and we had them on the run. Then we all climbed back in the truck and proceeded forward to, as the driver told us, “capture the flag and claim our prize!”

We drove slowly for a few blocks. Occasionally a few eggs would strike the truck. We finally came to a stop, armed ourselves and jumped out. We had pulled in beside another car. About twenty feet ahead a handful of guys were engaged in battle. We quickly joined in. We were the reinforcements! Like in some old western movie, the cavalry had arrived!

The battle seemed to go on forever, eggs shattered everywhere, the air was thick with flying residue. The enemy seemed to be protecting this one small cul-de-sac ahead and to the right of us. Eventually we managed to form a line and pressed forward. In no time at all, we had them on the run. Then about a dozen guys grabbed several dozen eggs and continued to pursue the enemy and kept them moving. The rest of us, about 20 or so, walked down the small cul-de-sac to see the prize we had captured.

Parked at the end of the street was a beautiful, black two-door 57 Chevy! We were all kind of milling about admiring the car when the panel truck pulled up behind us. The driver got out opened up the rear door and started passing out eggs. “What are we waiting for?” he yelled, “Let’s do it!” With that everybody started firing eggs at the Chevy. I was a little reluctant at first but hell, everyone was doing it so why not! God that car was a mess! Then the situation got out of hand. Someone opened up the driver’s door and fired some eggs inside. soon both doors were open as well as the hood of the car and everything was being pelted with eggs! Someone even went so far as to remove the air cleaner and fire a couple of eggs into the carburetor. Yeah, things had gone from fun to bad real quick.

The driver of the panel truck who appeared to be the unofficial leader of the group must have realized that things had gone too far, began yelling at the group to stop and get the hell out of there which everyone did. They dropped us off near Pioneer Park, thanked us for our assistance, gave us each a dozen eggs from their still plentiful stash, and went on their way.

We stood there for awhile unsure of what to do. The plan had been to go back up on Sierra Madre and throw more eggs at unsuspecting motorists, but that just didn’t sound like fun anymore. We were burned out on eggs, post egg war syndrome I suppose. Instead, we dumped the eggs into the water channel that ran through Pioneer Park and walked down to big Halloween festivities that were held each year at the park next to the Library. From there we headed home.

I will never forget the great egg war of Halloween 1965. It was a hell of an experience. I always wondered what happened when the owner of the car finally came back to retrieve it. How much damage was there? How much did it cost him to repair? God, what a mess! I believe that was one of my first incidents of vandalism. But then everyone was doing it, we were just caught up in the moment. Yeah, I know that’s no excuse. no excuse at all. I wish I could say it was the only time I got caught up with the crowd and did things I shouldn’t have, but, of course, it wasn’t…

Happy Halloween! Be safe out there!

Facebook Comments

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *